Students are to read three (3) articles and annotate two (2) for our Socratic Seminar. Students are to watch two videos. Use the Essential questions to guide your annotations.
What’s Wrong with the Teenage Mind- Wallstreet Journal
- Article is a really good resource for what is happening in the teenage mind and how it can be influenced
Teens Brains are more Sensitive to Rewarding Feedback from Peers- Association for Psychological Science
- Fairly short article about “peer pressure” and risky behavior
Teenage Brain Development- How Stuff Works
- Might be a little long. Other sources seem to have similar information as well
Runaway Romeo and Juliet Teens- TIME Magazine
- Very short- only content connection is “How might Romeo and Juliet’s story be different in modern times?”
When your Teen Boy Becomes Moody, Blame Biology- TIME Magazine
- This article describes a decrease in “cognitive empathy,” or the ability to relate to the feelings of others, in teens
Teen Binge Drinking: All Too Common?- Psychology Today
- The article explains how 90% of teens who drink “binge” and the effects of the decision to do so. It addresses some of the “motivation” behind the destructive decision, the effects and how parents can influence teens
A Sense of Autonomy is a Primary Reward or Threat for the Brain- Psychology Today
- Parts of this article might be good. Some scientific language but does a good job of explaining why teens need autonomy. Does reference “drinking age” fact that I am sure some students will fixate on
Teenagers in Love, an excerpt from Sticky Bonds- Psychology Today
- Article stresses the importance of first loves and taking teen relationships seriously
Teen Love Hurts: ABC News
- Article summarizes the negative emotional effects of teen relationships on the individual and also highlights a few positive effects
The mysterious workings of the adolescent brain- TEDTalk
- This talk uses high-level scientific langauge, but it provides a good context for what is happening in the adolescent brain (15 min.)
We are all Cyborgs Now- TEDTalk
- This deals with the effects of technology on humans- especially teens and their ability to reflect and have downtime (7 min.)
Why 30 is not the new 20- TEDTalk
- This talk discusses the importance of preparing for adulthood in one’s twenties instead of experiencing an “extended adolescence” (15 min.)
The Teen Brain on Technology- PBS
- This news clip describes the effects of technology on the teen brain
- What level of personal responsibility should teens have for making their own choices and accepting the consequences afterward?
- What social/environmental might factors influence teens’ decision-making processes?
- What intrinsic factors might influence teens’ decision-making process?
- When do teens make the best decisions? The worst?
- What types of “bad decisions” are common in teens? What are the consequences of these bad decisions?
- What is unique to teens’ today that might influence the decisions they make (for good or bad)?
- Is being a teen difficult? Why or why not?
- If being a teen is difficult, what are some ways individuals cope (positive and negative)?
- Is true love possible as a teenager?
- How might Romeo and Juliet’s experiences have been different in today’s society?
- Is the romance between Romeo and Juliet realistic?
- Should teens engage in romantic relationships? What are the positive effects? The negative effects?